I think that the first BarCampESM this weekend was a success. The only downside was my partner in crime whurley biffed on his big green skateboard and had to go to the doctor returning on crutches. Who says systems management is a bunch out of shape guys sitting in data center, it’s an extreme sport.
Rather than do the recap myself let me point to all the other folks who covered the event.
- Tivoli Expert – John M. Willis has a few posts
- Redmonk Analyst – Michael Cote has a bunch too
- OpenNMS Project Lead – Tarus Balog
- IBM BSM Expert Doug McClure posted his presentation from BarCamp
- O’Reilly Media Editor Andy Oram
- The Open Management Site has some related activity too
It was great to see Heath Newburn, worldwide product manager for Tivoli monitoring, and the folks from BMC discussing how to improve monitoring as a whole with network management folks from Alterpoint and open source monitoring projects like OpenNMS and Zenoss. I hope this is the first of many conversations among proprietary and open source professionals that help improve the quality of systems management tools.