Over the last years few years the Linux Foundation has extended their charter beyond Linux. They provide a home for a number of open source projects that extend beyond the Linux kernel.
- Open Daylight – A Software Defined Network Controller
- Xen Project – Virtualization
- Open MAMA – High performance Middleware Agnostic Messaging API
- Code Aurora Forum – A consortium of companies with projects serving the mobile wireless industry
- Yocto Project – Provides templates, tools and methods to help you create custom Linux-based systems for embedded products regardless of the hardware architecture
The Linux Foundation just posted this video on how the collaborative development model works with sound bites from some of the participates. It’s a good story. I have been working with the Open Daylight and Xen Projects and have seen a lot of advantages.