Open Source Expert / Community Builder / Social Media Strategist / Online Marketer
Strong leader with extensive operational, service, and information technology experience. Deep knowledge in Linux, open source and collaborative technology development. Excellent comprehension of how to use web marketing, community and social media to generate revenue and user affinity.
- Created marketing strategy for the open source Zenoss Core project resulting in a number one ranking on SourceForge.net among 160,000 open source projects
- Built the Zenoss Core community of over 35,000 users supporting an enterprise open source systems management product generating marketing leverage and product feedback
- Co-founded open source consortium, Open Management Consortium, uniting over 40 vendors
- Led EarthLink technical support organization of over 2000 employees recognized as the ISP technical support leader by PC World, PC Magazine, and J.D. Power
- Recognized as a leading expert in Windows to Linux migrations and was recruited to write a book Windows to Linux Business Desktop Migration published by Thomson in 2006.
- Editor-in-Chief of the leading Linux business magazine (LinuxWorld Magazine now Enterprise Open Source Magazine) growing subscriber base from zero to over 40,000 subscribers. Developed a syndicated weblog with over 40,000+ unique visitors per month.
CITRIX SYSTEMS INC.
SENIOR DIRECTOR, CLOUD COMPUTING COMMUNITY
JULY 2011 – PRESENT
SANTA CLARA, CA
Joined Citrix through an acquisition of Cloud.com in July 2011 and am responsible for the open source CloudStack Cloud Computing and Xen Hypervisor programs.
- Built the CloudStack open source community to over 30,000 members in under one year
- Managed evangelism efforts around Apache CloudStack and Xen.org open source projects
- Drove virtual and in-person Build a Cloud Day programs to educate users on how to deploy and manage cloud computing environments with open source partners
- Collaborated and drove partnerships between open source companies (e.g PuppetLabs, Opscode, Zenoss, Gluster)
- Created a comprehensive community portal with forums, event management, collaborative documentation using gamification tactics to drive participation.
CLOUD.COM (ACQUIRED BY CITRIX SYSTEMS INC. – NASDAQ: CTXS )
VICE PRESIDENT OF COMMUNITY
NOV 2010 – JULY 2011
Joined Cloud.com to drive success of the Cloudstack project and adoption of open source cloud technologies. Acquired by Citrix Systems in July 2011.
- Managed web operations for Cloud.com
- Created web advertising campaigns using Google Analytics and StumbleUpon to drive targeted traffic for lead generation and brand awareness.
- Drove an evangelism program that included a combination of speaking and exhibition activities to drive awareness of the open source CloudStack project.
VICE PRESIDENT OF COMMUNITY
OCT 2006 – NOV 2010
Recruited by venture-backed open source systems management company to help launch and expand presence of open source products. Providing guidance and strategy direction on all open source and online community matters. Engaged other online communities to market and grow Zenoss brand.
- Increased brand awareness of Zenoss Core resulting in over 500,000 downloads and a consistent ranking in the Top 5 among over 160,000 open source projects hosted on SourceForge.net
- Co-Organized the first Enterprise Systems Management BarCamp un-conference uniting open source and proprietary software vendors with end-users (BMC, Tivoli, OpenNMS, Alterpoint, Zenoss)
- Built a community of 32,000+ systems management users and 4000 enterprise deployments
- Increased web traffic by 400%, and search engine traffic increases by 1000%, successful by recognized industry metrics such as Bounce Rate, unique visits, and conversions.
- Developed social networking and marketing campaigns to driving organic web using Twitter, blogs, Facebook, Digg, Slashdot and other new media marketing tactics.
- Strategist for public and blogger relations leading to key media and blog placements that propelled Zenoss to commercial success.
VICE PRESIDENT OF STRATEGY AND CORP DEV
JAN 2006 – AUG 2006
Recruited by early stage enterprise systems management company to provide open source, community building and strategy advice. Raised profile the point of attracting multiple acquisition offers.
- Developed and implemented a strategy to release the company’s core product, NetDirector, under an open source license resulting in thousands of downloads and early adopters
- Architect for web strategy to develop a portal and corresponding websites, which yielded a 20x increase in web traffic with no increase in marketing budget
- Developed guerrilla marketing campaign to boost industry awareness of Emu Software offerings, using marketing system that is now being used by numerous open source and Linux vendors.
- Founded the Open Management Consortium to facilitate collaboration of open source software vendors and to raise profile of small company as an industry leader
ENTERPRISE OPEN SOURCE MAGAZINE
MAY 2003 – OCT 2007
Recruited as an industry expert to write a monthly column for the launch of Sys-Con Media’s LinuxWorld print magazine now Enterprise Open Source Magazine. During tenure grew the subscriber base from zero to over 40,000 readers and covered a wide variety of collaboratively developed technologies.
- Responsible for writing monthly articles and editorials on Linux, open source, and collaborative technologies
- Sourced content and recruit contributors to address interest of an audience compromised mainly of IT management professionals
- Interview open source leaders and businesses including senior executives from CA, Novell, Red Hat, and IBM
APR 2000 – DEC 2005
Lead technical support and professional services Linux desktop virtualization company initiatives. During economic downturn took on greater role to insure company solvency.
- Managed pre-sales, technical support and service for ISV developing Linux-based Citrix alternative
- Grew user base and community list to over 100,000 using social media marketing (Slashdot) and free trial offers
- Created successful software launch campaigns including public relations, sales collateral, distribution channels, training, promotions and customer based marketing strategies and tactics
- Supported sales process by authoring collateral (white papers, web documentation, and technical recipes), providing technical support, and business case analysis for Fortune 1000 customers
- Directed online marketing and sales campaigns leading to record sales revenues
EARTHLINK INC. (VIA MERGER WITH MINDSPRING)
DIRECTOR OF TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SEP 1996 – MAR 2000
Managed technical relations and community communication via chat, email and phone for EarthLink (MindSpring pre-merger) while overseeing a department of over 2000 technical support representatives and an operating budget of $80 million.
- Supervised a national multi-site call center network encompassing seven locations, supporting Internet product lines for the world’s 2nd largest Internet Service Provider (ISP)
- Developed comprehensive operating plan lowering operating costs from $2.70 a customer per month to $1.60 that led to MindSpring becoming the first profitable national ISP
- Led initiatives that earned MindSpring the J.D. Power and Associates’ highest ranking in overall customer satisfaction among Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in 1999, winning all seven categories including Customer Care/Technical Support
- York College of Pennsylvania, Bachelor of Science, Management
- University of Pittsburgh, Course work in Mechanical Engineering
- Co-Founder and President of the Open Management Consortium and helped recruit over 40 organizations and over 1000 members (formed April 2006)
- Advisory Board, Software Freedom Day, 2007 and 2008
- Co-Founder and Board Member of the Desktop Linux Consortium (formed April 2003)
Excellent references furnished upon request.